I have to admit, I don’t love winter. So, during the colder days, I tend to stay inside and hibernate a bit. And, while cozying up on the couch can be nice, spending more time indoors can lead to dryness and stagnation in our body. This scenario can then cause more colds, constipation, etc. Sounds awesome, right??
Below are five tips to help combat these issues during the cooler months.
1) Eat more healthy fats. Healthy fats coat the body and provide it with moisture. To add in more fat, focus on eating avocados, olive oil, nuts, etc. I also recommend cooking with ghee. This clarified butter is great for digestion and detoxing. If you’re not able to include these fats on a daily basis, I recommend this supplement.
2) Drink more water. This may sound obvious, but hydrating will help keep your insides moving. Drinking water also helps deliver nutrients throughout the body.
3) Exercise regularly. Moving your body will keep your internal systems from becoming stagnant. Yoga is a great option for increasing circulation and regulating elimination.
4) Use moisturizer. The winter can cause dry, scaly skin. A good rule of thumb is to moisturize every morning and every evening immediately after cleansing. This will help prevent the skin from cracking, etc.
5) Eat warming foods. Include more warming foods in your diet such as soups, teas, etc. Also, add warming spices to your meals such as ginger, clove and cinnamon. This will aid in circulation and digestion.